Wednesday, October 17, 2012

RR :: Wing Hing

There are very few things in this world that truly never change.  Wouldn’t you agree?  Whether it’s the ice cream shop that continually exchanges their flavors, the necessity of upgrading your vehicle even though you hate to part with your trusty old one, to even noticing the changes in your own personality and preferences throughout the years.  Change is omnipresent.  It can be good or bad, but it’s everywhere. 

Well, I’ve found something that has not changed in 10 years and I’m confident that it never will.  Let me introduce you to my THE BEST hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant, Wing Hing!


My family discovered this jewel of a restaurant in 2002 when we moved from Illinois to Arizona.  It’s located in a strip mall (as some of the best Chinese-American restaurants are) and it’s the best deal in town.  Hands down.  When I was in high school, and making pennies at my part time job, my friends and I thrived off of Wing Hing.  Recently, I've been there a couple times a month.  Their lunch combo is $4.95 and this is what you get: 

Wanton chips with sweet and sour sauce & Chinese mustard
Choice of soup:  Hot and Sour or Egg Drop
Rice
2 Wantons
1 Eggroll
Your main entrée
Fortune Cookie

All for $4.95!  It can’t be beat!  And the food comes out quickly too.  You never have to wait long. 






One of the best things about eating at Wing Hing is Tam, the owner.  She is cute and friendly and has treated my family incredibly well over the last 10 years.  She’ll treat you well too because her restaurant is her pride and joy.  Her son Willie Chang is great too and he’ll refill your water glass a million times.  Tam has my order and my brother’s order memorized, which makes us feel all the more welcome in her restaurant. 


My favorite dish that Tam makes is Orange Chicken.  It is crunchy and sweet and spicy and garlicky all at the same time.  Forget about that candied Orange Chicken that you get at Panda Express.  This is ever so much better.  There’s always so much of it that I have leftovers too!


I’ve eaten here for 10 years and I can’t imagine Wing Hing changing.  Or, having to find another Chinese restaurant.  Whenever I eat at another one, I always compare it to Wing Hing and it never matches up.  I encourage you to pay a visit to Tam, to try the Orange Chicken and the treasure of Wing Hing.  



                                     Wing Hing
                                     7420 W Cactus Rd
                                     Peoria, AZ 85381
                                     (623) 561-8338



P.S. - I've been trying to get Tam's recipe for 10 years and she's still not talking :)




No comments:

Post a Comment