Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Herbs

I bought dirt for my parents’ anniversary this year.   It might seem like a strange gift, but they loved it. 

For quite some time, my parents have discussed improving their backyard.  My mom had wanted railroad ties for ages, and this Christmas she finally received them as a gift.  So, my brother and I pitched in and bought them dirt for the back yard.   We spent a morning last month transporting the mountain of dirt (and I mean mountain – it was 6 tons worth!) from the driveway to the backyard.  There are not any flowers yet.  Hopefully they’ll arrive before next Christmas.  But, through the process, it made me really want to grow something.  My dad’s got the greenest thumb in the tri-state area.  I’ve got the…brownest. 


BUT, several weeks ago, I did buy some seeds for basil, parsley and rosemary.  I planted them diligently in each impression of an egg carton.  And they’re growing!!!   I almost can’t believe it.  But, it’s true!  As soon as they’re old enough, I’ll transfer them to a more durable container and be able to cook with real, homegrown herbs!  Stay tuned for some new fresh recipes. 


**Sean has been ripening his green thumb as well.  His tomato plant, Rosie, is looking rather strapping.  Instead of growing her from scratch, we adopted her.  And we love her just the same.  





No comments:

Post a Comment