Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sue's Chili


My good friend Sue made this chili for me a long time ago when I was feeling under the weather.  It hit the spot then and it's tasted just as great ever since.  This chili is sweet and hearty and comforting.  It is a staple at my Halloween and Super Bowl parties and my go-to when I just want to curl up under a blanket on a winter afternoon.  This weekend, I made it for my weekly Amazing Race get-together and it was a hit.  Thank you Sue, for sharing! 

*Thank you to my friend Ruth for the cornbread in this picture.  

2 lbs. ground beef
3 onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
4 cans stewed tomato
4 cans beans (I use Black, Northern, & Kidney)
1+ T. sugar
1 T. salt
Pepper, to taste
1 T. chili powder
1+ T. Worcester sauce
1/2 C. chili sauce

Brown the beef and onions in a large pot.  Add the stewed tomatoes and beans.  Bring to a simmer.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer.  Cook at least one hour, or all day.  Season to taste with extra sugar and Worcester sauce.  Serve with cheddar cheese and cornbread. 

1 comment:

  1. I substituted out some of the stewed tomato for a sauce and diced. Still came out perfectly with a delightful consistency! Yum!

    ReplyDelete