Sunday, December 11, 2011

Salted Caramel Cocoa

My European soul mate, Charlotte, introduced me to this scrumptious cocoa.  On a freezing day in Albi, France, I rode my bike through sleet and rain to get to Charlotte's flat in the city center.  When I arrived, soaked to the bone, she served me this delicious concoction.  I've added salted caramel, but it's just as satiating without it.  C’est vraiment le TOP! 


3.5 oz. milk chocolate bar
Sea salt, ground
Salted Caramel sauce, recipe follows
2 C. Whole milk
Whipping Cream
Espresso (when needed)

In a saucepan, bring the whole milk to a steam.  Do not let it boil.  Add the chocolate bar and melt until the mixture is truly milk chocolate.  Add 1-2 T. of caramel sauce and whisk into the mixture.  Pour into your favorite mug and top with whipped cream.  Drizzle with caramel sauce for show.  Sprinkle sea salt on top to garnish. 


*For the salted caramel sauce, I use the Joy of Cooking recipe and add salt. 

¼ C. Water
1 C. Sugar
½ C. butter, in cubes
½ C. heavy cream
1 t. vanilla
6 pinches of salt (about ½ t.)

Dissolve 1 C. of sugar in ¼ C. water.  Bring to a boil and allow it to cook to dark amber.  Add the butter and stir to combine.  Add the heavy cream and thoroughly combine.  Add vanilla and salt to taste.  The caramel sauce is thin until it sits, so allow it to cool before drizzling over the cocoa.  

1 comment: